Sunday, January 18, 2015

Perspective


Well, I wasn't feeling like blogging this week, but we are at 12:01am and I can't sleep. It's been a really heavy week. I found out that one of my best friends and roomate in college passed away under terribly tragic and mysterious circumstances. This isn't the place for sharing her, or our, full stories. But after the numbness and shock wore off, her death has brought up so many emotions. I took a day to read old notes, look through pictures, obsess over the news, and just feel what I needed to feel. I wrote her a letter, and went into nature. Then, what I knew I needed to do, was get a brush into my hands. I guess I'll bring it back around to what this blog is supposed to be about: my art-y adventures. 

I was painting this mural today, listening to some music that she loved when I knew her: The Postal Service, Nine Inch Nails, and that one Against Me song that she knew every word to, and sang it enough times that eventually so did I. I was thinking about her life cut short before she could do, and be, so many things. Tragedies always make people recognize what they have and should be grateful for. I am grateful to live somewhere that I can be free. I am living a life that makes me happy. I have this crazy art habit that feels like popping happy pills. Or, at least brings me inner peace when I'm going through something hard. That is what I am grateful for today. For this confusing, wonderful, complex, colorful, beautiful but sometimes tragic, life. 

portland muralist, murals in portland oregon, portland mural artist

No comments:

Post a Comment