Sunday, March 10, 2013

Posters for Zimbabwe

This blog is about a mural project (well, more like posters) done with kids that is more personal and closer to my heart than others.  Let me back up....

When I was in 2nd grade, I started taking lessons to learn how to play the marimba music of Zimbabwe.  I played off and on with different classes and ensembles from 2nd grade through high school, and sometimes when I was home from college.  The Eugene, OR. organization that I took classes from is called Kutsinhira.  If you're in the Eugene area and have been wanting to try a new and interesting musical endeavor, they are WONDERFUL.

Yesterday, Kutsinhira had their annual membership party where all their classes get together to play music for each other, eat together, and have a meeting about what's going on with the various charity organizations they associate with.  An organizer of the event wanted to have the attending kids paint posters for the 3 Zimbabwe organizations that our Eugene community is connected to, as a token of our friendship.  The organizations Tariro, Chinhoyi High School, and Nhimbe, would all be sent posters to hang in their Zimbabwe offices.

The party was held in an elementary school auditorium/cafeteria, so I set up in the hallway so the kids could still hear the music playing nearby.  Then I rounded up some kids to help me paint!  We only finished 2 of the posters during the party, but I think they turned out bright and fun.  The important part, was that the kids have the opportunity to feel more connected to the Zimbabweans who brought their music over to us, by sharing their art with them.  Cultural Competency for the win!  Another kid mural goes to Africa!  I love it.  More please!


Zimbabwe art

Zimbabwe art

Zimbabwe art

Zimbabwe art

Zimbabwe art

Zimbabwe art

No comments:

Post a Comment